• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Are there ways, when younger, to help prevent cancer?

kanyeknievel

Bluelighter
I'm 19 and I was wondering and figuring that there has to be ways to prevent or greatly reduce the change of getting cancer.

Possibly by taking certain vitamins, supplements, etc.

Anyone know of studies or proven facts/ways of (greatly) reducing the chance of getting cancer when older?

I take omegas 3-6-9 with fish oil and all the essentials involved in the omegas. I also take vitamins too and im in great health, besides ciggarettes (which i didnt smoke a lot but now on suboxone it makes me want to smoke more). Ill hopefully be able to cut down that habit, i never really liked ciggarettes its just any opiate makes want to smoke, which sucks but i wont be on suboxone forever.

BESIDES that, this isn't about me only, but for everyone on this board. So don't direct answers to me, but to the whole community to help us prevent getting cancer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of fruits and vegetables. There are specific phytochemicals that help to prevent certain cancers. Tumeric and aspirin both have studies that show they help people with Barret's esophagus from developing the stomach/esophageal cancers associated with that condition. Cruciferous family vegetables have phytochemicals that are considered cancer preventers.

Not smoking, drinking moderately or not at all, exercise, all the general good health stuff tends to help with preventing cancer. Vitamin D is getting tons of attention for helping prevent many cancers. There is a lot more stuff but those are some things off the top of my head. There is a lot of research out there and articles for laymen as well. New data comes out on this topic literally daily.

The only clinical trial testing THC as a treatment against cancer growth was a recently completed British pilot study. For three weeks, researchers injected standard doses of THC into mice that had been implanted with human lung cancer cells, and found that tumors were reduced in size and weight by about 50 percent in treated animals compared to a control group. There was also about a 60 percent reduction in cancer lesions on the lungs in these mice as well as a significant reduction in protein markers associated with cancer progression.

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: THC (marijuana) helps cure cancer says Harvard study | NowPublic News Coverage http://www.nowpublic.com/thc_marijuana_helps_cure_cancer_says_harvard_study#ixzz1H7znN7bA

Well their really is no way of preventing cancer but your best bet is to live a healthy life. Eat right, lots of fruits and vegetables, proteins you get the drift. Also exercise at least an hour a day. Another good thing to do is kick all the stress away because when you have less to worry about the better you feel. Remember tomorrow is a new day. Also don't smoke cigs nasty and stay away from hard drugs. Make sure you also keep drinking down to a minimum.

Even though if you do all those things you still could get cancer. There have been people who were so healthy but they ended up sick and died. Its weird how life works but yeah I wouldn't worry about this. Live your life and if cancer ever comes down your road don't stop and think your life is over. Keep living and remember this life is only one chapter of your existence.

Peace

Cured meats usually have have nitrites and the nitrites with the proteins in the meats often turn into nitrosamines when cooked. Nitrosamines are fairly carcenogenic. I wouldn't say to never eat cured meats like sausage and bacon but I think a lot of cancer experts would recommend making cured meats a limited part of one's diet.

maybe already stated but dont forget

sunscreen

skin cancers are getting more prevalent and are some of the most agressive ones out there. sun screen creams are not the only (or for that matter best) way to protect against harmful radiation. stay in the shade, wear sunglasses, and avoid getting burnt.

and avoid smoking. already stated but deserves a repeat. it is one of the most harmful habits one can aquire.

maybe already stated but dont forget

sunscreen

skin cancers are getting more prevalent and are some of the most agressive ones out there. sun screen creams are not the only (or for that matter best) way to protect against harmful radiation. stay in the shade, wear sunglasses, and avoid getting burnt.

preferably one without lots of chemicals, because they end up accumulating in your bloodstream
and i dont have a source but my mum who is a doctor told me that 8)

Both of my parents died of Cancer- so I have a certain invested interest in this subject!

One died of life long tobacco smoking, the other of Prostate Cancer.

The best thing I have read in years is to combine Turmeric with vegetables like Cauliflower and Broccoli. The best I can say is to combine lots of antioxidant vegetables with lots of healthy exercise. Genetics is hard to beat. Keep your weight down and best of luck!

Good posts everyone, basically knew most of the things to eat healthy, excerise and all that. was just wondering if there was one definite miracle type thing to prevent cancer, i thought i read once there was something but the government wont let it become public? maybe thats a conspiracy theory.

But the smoking thing, yes i know it sucks, i never liked ciggarettes.. only if i was high on opiates or rolling or something i liked them. But it sucks cuz now that im on suboxone it just kinda makes me want to smoke. hopefully once im off of them ill hate them as much as i did and stop before it becomes too much of a problem. Probably will be a lot harder to stop once im off since i gained the habit, but its not that i get anything from the cigarettes (they dont relax me or anything like that), it seems like i smoke them just to smoke something which is weird but thats how it is lol

anyone else like that? they dont like cigarettes but if they are high on opiates or something liek that, then they smoke like a fiend? im sure its common with a lot of people

Good posts everyone, basically knew most of the things to eat healthy, excerise and all that. was just wondering if there was one definite miracle type thing to prevent cancer, i thought i read once there was something but the government wont let it become public? maybe thats a conspiracy theory.

Doubtful. Cancer isn't a single disease but a class of similar diseases caused by a multitude of different things. As such it's really unlikely that any one thing could prevent it.

ingest as much cannabis as common sense allows. also, antioxidants are good too. Things like green tea, alpha lipoic acid, and adaptogens (ginseng, schisandra, etc.) all help reduce tumor growth.